Muker in 1840

From: History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), by William White.

Muker, a large ancient village of irregularly built stone houses and cottages in the higher part of Swaledale, 6 miles N.N.W. of Askrigg, and 10 miles W. of Reeth, has in its township and chapelry 1,247 inhabitants and 29,678 acres of land, of which 22,000 acres form a high and rugged district of moors and fells where there are lead mines and an abundance of grouse. Thomas Smith Esq. is lord of the manor but a great part of the soil is held by copyholders, the largest of whom are the Clarkson and Metcalfe families. The small hamlets of Muker are Angram, Keld, Birkdale, Calvert-house, Frith, Ivelet, Saltron, Oxnop, Rampsholme, Rash, Ravenseat, Spring-end, Stonesdale, Thwaite, and Tan-hill, extending to the borders of Westmorland and the sources of the Swale, from 6 to 8 miles N.W. of the village. Coal and ironstone are got at Tan-hill, which is partly in Bowes parish. A weekly market on Wednesday was established at Muker some years ago but it is of trivial importance. Sheep fairs are held at Muker on the Wednesday before Old Christmas day; and at Thwaite on the day after Brough fair. The Chapel of Ease (St. Mary) is an ancient structure, which was consecrated in 1580. The perpetual curacy, now valued at £98, was augmented with £800 of Q.A.B. from 1719 to 1810, and with £1,000 in parliamentary grants obtained in 1811 and ’12. The vicar of Grinton is patron, and the Rev. Edward Lowther incumbent. The Independent Chapel at Keld is endowed with land let for £7 4s. a year left by the late Mr. Knowles, and was built in 1745. Muker Free School is an ancient building kept in repair by subscription and endowed with 2 acres of land arising from the bequest of Anthony Metcalfe in 1678, and 16 acres at Whiteaside given by an unknown donor. The whole produces about £20 a year, for which the master teaches eight poor children. In the chapelry are several beautiful waterfalls. One on the Swale is called Kisden force, and falls about 15 feet amidst an amphitheatre of rocks, finely fringed with underwood. On the Ivelet beck are two falls about 15 yards in height and possessing similar romantic beauties. Mrs. Cope, who has lately leased Keld-Green Cottage with a right of shooting on the moors for her son, liberally supports two Charity schools in this chapelry for the education of 100 poor girls, whom she partly clothes, and she also pays for the education of nine poor boys. Directory:

Muker
Alderson James, vict. King’s Head
Clarke Mary, schoolmistress
Clarkson John, gent., Hill-Top Lodge
Cope Mrs. & A. Esq., Keld Green Cottage
Fawcett Wm., gent.
Kearton Wm., tailor
Lowther Rev. Edward, incumbent
Metcalfe L. W., gent.
Peacock Wm., vict. Board
Raynard Wm., schoolmaster
Reynoldson John, gent.
Reynoldson Philis, vict. Board
Rudd Wm., surgeon & registrar
________
Calvert George, beer house keeper
Mason John, beer house keeper
Peacock Chpr., boot & shoemaker
Peacock Cooper, boot & shoemaker
Peacock Wm., boot & shoemaker
Spensley John, joiner
Spensley Wm., joiner
Alton Nancy, shopkeeper
Raynard Philip, shopkeeper
Waistell Alexr., shopkeeper
Farmers
Calvert James, yeoman
Cherry Henry
Fawcett Thos.
Raw Thomas
Angram
Calvert James, beer house keeper
Fawcett John, butcher
Farmers
Coates Wm.
Fawcett John, yeoman
Fawcett Simon, yeoman
Fawcett Thos., yeoman
Peacock Chpr., yeoman
Birkdale
Farmers
Alderson Chas.
Alderson Chpr.
Alderson George
Alderson John
Alderson John
Calvert-house
Metcalfe Edward, gent
Farmers
Coates Nathan
Frith
Farmers
Alderson Isabla.
Alderson Wm.
Alton John
Hunter John
Hunter Sarah
Metcalfe Ralph
Ivelet
White Wm., shopkeeper
Farmers
Kearton Jph., yeoman
Kearton Wm., yeoman

 

 

Links to the other townships:
Grinton
Melbecks
Reeth
Arkengarthdale
Back to introduction:
Life in the 1840s

Keld
Alderson John, gent.
Alderson Thos., vict. Miners’ Arms
Craig John, lead mine agent
Garth Mrs.
Kidd Wm., lead mine agent
Wilkinson Rev. James, Indpt. Min.
_______
Wiseman Michl., shopkeeper
Farmers
Scott George
Scott John, yeoman
Whitfield John
Oxnop
Farmers
Metcalfe James
Metcalfe Thos.
Rampsholme
Farmers
Cleasby David, yeoman
Close Isabella, yeoman
Cooper John
Ravenseat
Farmers
Alderson Chpr.
Alderson Henry
Cleasby Anty., yeoman
Cleasby Edw., yeoman
Spring-end
Broderick Edward & John, gents.
Stones-Dale
Clarkson Anthy., land surveyor, Smithy Holme
________
Alderson Edw., beer house keeper
Farmers
Peacock John
Taylor James
Saltron
Tiplady James, boot & shoemaker
Farmers
Alderson John
Westgarth Wm.
Tan-Hill
Pounder Alexander, vict. Board
Thornes
Alderson John, shopkeeper
Farmers
Alderson Geo., yeoman
Alderson John, yeoman
Scott Chpr.
Thwaite
Butson Fras. G., vict. Joiners’ Arms
Harker James, blacksmith
________
Harker Wm., beer house keeper
Kearton James, beer house keeper
Metcalfe Robt., boot & shoemaker
Iveson James, butcher
Butson Fras. G., joiner & cabinet maker
Hunton Jnth., joiner
Clarke Wm., shopkeeper
Metcalfe Rt., shopkeeper
Farmers
Alderson Edw., yeoman
Cleasby Edw.
Scott Charles

 

Advertisements