Grinton in 1840

From: History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), by William White.

GRINTON, a village and township on the south side of Swaledale, 1 mile S. of Reeth and 9 miles W. by S. of Richmond, contains 696 inhabitants and upwards of 8,000 acres of land, all in Hang-West Wapentake, but Melbecks, Muker and Reeth, the other three townships of Grinton parish, are in West Gilling Wapentake. Grinton township includes the high moorland districts of Harkerside, Cogden and Whiteaside, and the romantic hamlet of Crackpot, 5 miles W. by S. of Reeth, where there is a worsted mill, and at the source of the rivulet called Crackpot gill is a curious cavern, very spacious but approached by a narrow entrance, and having in one place a deep water issuing out of the rock below. The school at Crackpot was endowed by Ruth Garth in 1765 with £100. In Harker side is Swale Hall, which was the seat of Sir Solomon Swale, whose family held it of the Crown but having neglected to renew their lease the omission was observed by a clerk in the exchequer office, who procured a grant of the estate for himself; many law suits ensued; but they served only to increase the misfortunes of Sir Solomon, who died a prisoner in the Fleet in 1678, not however till his adversary had committed suicide. The hall has long been divided into tenements, occupied by miners who work in the prolific lead mines of this township, which are worked by three companies of shareholders. One mile E. of Grinton is Cogden Hall, the seat of Mattw. Whitelocke Esq., who owns a great part of the township, which is mostly held of the Crown, to which the minerals belong, but the game is claimed by Godfrey Wentworth Esq., except Crackpot hamlet, which is in the manor of Healaugh. Grinton Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient fabric, which was thoroughly repaired about twenty years ago. The vicarage, valued in K. B. at £12 5s. 7d. and now at £200, is in the patronage of the Crown and incumbency of the Rev. H. B. Worthington. The poor of Grinton and Reeth have £2 10s. a year left by Ann Colville; the latter have 20s. a year left by two unknown donors; and the former have 13s. 4d. yearly out of an estate at Cogden. The poor of Crackpot and Whiteaside have 40s. a year left by Thos. and Richard Garth about 1735, and the poor of the whole parish have the dividends of £100 navy five per cent annuities bequeathed by the Rev. Joy, a late vicar. Directory:

Grinton
Asquith John, vict. Board
Atkinson Rev. George, B. A., curate
Bowes Ralph, blacksmith
Buxton Wm., miller
Harker Sarah Ann, Crackpot School
Sowerby William, tailor
Whitelock Matthew Esq., Cogden Hall
Worthington Rev. H. Burdett, vicar
________
Bell William, beer house keeper
Hird John, beer house keeper
Close James, joiner
Wood William, joiner
Irvin Samuel, mason
Stockdale Thomas, mason
Bell James, shopkeeper
Dunn Margaret, shopkeeper
Farmers
Harker James
Hird Robert
Heslop Chpr.
Spensley James
Wilson George
Harkerside
Farmers
Calvert John
Heslop George
Hutchinson Jph.
Kendal Jane
Nicholson John
White Nancy

Links to the other townships:
Melbecks
Muker
Reeth
Arkengarthdale
Back to introduction:
Life in the 1840s

Whitaside
Spensley Wm., lead mine agent
Simpson Mrs. & Stubbing Mr.
Farmers
Beaty John
Bell Wm.
Calvert George
Chapman James
Close James, yeoman
Close John
Coates Leonard
Harker L. M., yeoman
Harker Simon, yeoman
Hunt Thomas
Raw John
Spensley John
Spensley John
Spensley Wm.
Watson Jerh.
White Joseph
Crackpot
Garth Mr., Rd.
Plews George, shoemaker
Farmers
Coates Wm, yeoman
Harker James, yeoman

 

Advertisements