A desk study of the old pubs and inns of Swaledale and Arkengarthdale seems to solve a 150-year-old mystery over the origins of the inn-name Board.
An oddity in Edward Baines’s 1823 directory of the North Riding – the first such directory – is that out of 17 pubs and inns listed in Swaledale and Arkengarthdale, six were called the Board. There were three King’s Heads and two CB Inns, but no other multiples of any other inn-name.
In William White’s more comprehensive directory of the North Riding, published in 1840, the total number of pubs and inns recorded in Swaledale and Arkengarthdale was up to 24, of which eight were called the Board. That the name should have been so outstandingly popular seems quite extraordinary, especially as the name completely disappeared from the two dales by 1872.
So what was it all about? To find out the most likely explanation see the article here – Solving the mystery of the Board Inns.