Arkengarthdale in 1840

From: History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), by William White.

Arkengarthdale, commonly called Arkendale, is a large moorland parish of 1,446 souls and 14,180 acres of land, abounding in lead ore mostly in high and bleak moors on the north side of the small river Arkle and partly on the south side of that rivulet where the mountain of Water Crag rears its lofty summit 2,186 feet above the level of the sea. Its hamlets lie in the deep and picturesque dale, and are Arkle, Booze, Langthwaite, Eskelith, Seal-houses, Whaw and Dale Head, extending from 3 to 7 miles N.W. of Reeth, below which the Arkle empties itself in the river Swale. The late George Brown Esq. bequeathed two-thirds of the Manors of Arkengarthdale, Hope and New Forest to his sisters, the wives of the Rev. John Gilpin and Sir Robert Preston; and the trustees have since purchased the other third part for Lady Preston. Here is one of the most productive fields of lead ore in the county and extensive Smelt Works where upwards of 1,000 tons of lead are produced yearly. The rent paid by the Lead Mine Co. amounts to one-sixth part of the produce. The parish Church (St. Mary) was built in 1818 and stands at Langthwaite near the site of the old one. It is a perpetual curacy, now valued at £123, being augmented with £600 of Q.A.B. from 1733 to ’84, with a parliamentary grant of £1,000 in 1815, and with £200 given by the Rev. Jas. Moore in 1783. Sir John Lowther is the patron, and the Rev. John Hayton incumbent. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel at Langthwaite. In 1659 John Bathurst M.D. bequeathed out of the manor of Arkengarthdale two annuities, viz. £4 for an apprentice fee and £16 for schooling poor children. The school was built in 1813 by the late George Brown Esq., and the present owners of the manor allow the master a yearly gratuity of from £20 to £40 and the use of a house and garden. Directory:

Langthwaite
Alderson Job, corn miller
Alderson John, schoolmaster
Chalder George, Temperance Hotel
Christie William, shoemaker
Croft Thomas, tailor
Hayton Rev. Jno
Gill Abel, p. clk.
Whitehead Thomas, blacksmith
Inns and Taverns
Wray John, Bull
Smith Thomas, C.B.
Whitehead Matthew, Red Lion
Beer houses
Alcock Ann
Mudd James
Raisbeck Jonthn.
Robinson George
Farmers
Cleasby Mary
Marsh Ralph
Whiteley John
Wilkinson Wm.
Raisbeck Robert, Rigg House, lead-mine agent
Shopkeepers
Chalder, Joseph
Jewitt Jonathan
Arkle
Bradwell Joseph, CB Inn
Hall Joseph, shopkeeper

 

Links to the other townships:
Grinton
Melbecks
Muker
Reeth
Back to introduction:
Life in the 1840s

Booze
Harker James, butcher
Dale Head
Farmers
Alderson Enoch
Alderson Mary
Atkinson Mary
Bousfield Wm.
Eskelith
Alderson Jonathan, joiner
Fagger Gill
Farmers
Alderson Wm., yeoman
Atkinson Enoch
Brown Ralph, yeoman
Hird John
Liddle William
Park Head
Hird Thomas, farmer, yeoman
Seal-houses
Farmers
Alderson Roger
Brown Chpr.
Guy Henry
Martin Margaret, yeoman
Siddle John
Alderson Jph. (& land), West hs., lead-mine agent
Whaw
Robson Thomas, Board Inn
Winter John, farmer
Alderson George, lead-mine agent
Advertisements